This Code of Ethics (The Code) is to apply to all Trustees of Avatar Meher Baba Perpetual Public Charitable Trust in
addition to the specific provisions of Maharashtra Public Trust Act.
1. ETHICAL CONDUCT AND MANAGEMENT:
1.1. It is the responsibility of each Trustee to represent the Trust adhering to moral and ethical standards in
accordance with the highest spiritual values and conduct as imparted by Avatar Meher Baba.
1.2. All Trustees will uphold wholeheartedly the Trust Deeds and the Code of Ethics in its entirety and remain
true to its letter and spirit; all decisions made and actions taken should be consistent with values and
objectives therein. Trustees will act in accordance with the highest standards of integrity, honesty and
ethical conduct upholding these standards in day to day activities and complying with all applicable policies
1.3. All conduct and management practices of the Trustees shall be fair and transparent and be perceived to be so.
1.4. Decisions and actions of a Trustee should be based on the best interest of the Trust and not based on personal
biases, relationships or benefits.
2. COMPLIANCE WITH APPLICABLE LAWS, RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE LAND: All Trustees will comply,
fully and diligently, with the applicable laws, rules and regulations of the land.
3. REPORTING: A Trustee is duty bound to promptly report his/her own violation of the code in writing to the Chairman and
the Board of Trustees.
4. MEDIA CONTACT: The Chairman is the public face of the Trust; hence any contact with public media – newspapers, radio,
TV stations, internet – is to be restricted only to the Chairman or his authorised representative. This is essential to
provide information that is accurate and consistent with Trust policies.
5. POLITICAL ACTIVITIES ARE PROHIBITED: A Trustee shall not be affiliated with or indulge in any political activity.
6. PERSONAL USE OF TRUST RESOURCES: The assets of the Trust shall not be misused; they shall be employed primarily and
judiciously for the purpose of conducting the affairs for which they are duly authorized. These include tangible assets
such as equipment, machinery, systems (water, sewage, electrical, etc.), facilities, materials, resources, vehicles,
etc.; as well as intangible assets such as reputation of the Trust, information, technology, intellectual property,
use of staff, etc. except for facilities provided by the Trust for Trust work.
7. CONFLICT OF INTEREST: Trustees shall always act in the interest of the Trust, and ensure that any business or personal
association does not involve a conflict of interest with the affairs of the Trust and his/her role therein. The main
areas of such actual or potential conflicts of interest shall include the following:
7.1. Contracts: Trustees authorizing purchases or obtaining contracts with a supplier in which he/she has an ownership
7.2. Land Holdings: Trustees and their immediate family members, i.e. grandparents, parents, spouse, children, aunts,
uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins, in-laws, cannot henceforth purchase or acquire any Land, which falls under the
most current Trust Development Plan area for Meherabad, Meherazad, and Meher Nazar, hereinafter referred
to as the ‘exclusion zones’, without prior written approval of the Board.
7.3. Commercial Activity: Trustees and their immediate family members i.e. grandparents, parents, spouse, children,
aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins, in-laws cannot conduct any commercial activity within the exclusion zones
with the exception of the existing businesses maintaining the status quo.
8. GRATUITIES: A Trustee, in his/her capacity as a Trustee, should not take or solicit gifts, fees, discounts,
favours, for personal benefit. Trustees should not accept any payment, fees, etc. for speaking engagements related to
the Trust and to Meher Baba programs, but reasonable travel and accommodation expenses can be accepted.
9. TRUST FUNDS FOR PERSONAL USE: Under no circumstance can a Trustee receive, use or borrow Trust Funds for personal
10. ACCOUNTING: The Trust shall prepare and maintain its accounts fairly and accurately and in accordance with the accounting
and financial reporting standards which represent the laws and regulations of the country.
11. EMPLOYMENT OF FAMILY MEMBERS: Immediate family members i.e. grandparents, parents, spouse, children, aunts, uncles,
nieces, nephews, cousins,in-laws, can only be employed by the Trust only with prior two-thirds majority approval of the
Board of Trustees.
12. INFLUENCE DECISIONS: A Trustee shall not influence a decision resulting in a benefit to him/her and his/her relatives and
13. ESCHEW FAVOURITISM, DISCRIMINATION AND HARASSMENT: All Trustees should provide and foster a work environment
on the Trust Estate free of favouritism, discrimination and harassment.
14. SUPPORT OF OTHER CAUSES AND ORGANISATIONS: No Trustee shall solicit or promote any cause or organisation which is
inconsistent with the Trust Deeds, the Code of Ethics and Trust Policies.
15. VIOLATION OF CODE OF ETHICS: Violation of this Code will be considered as grounds for the resignation or removal of a
Trustee after providing a fair opportunity of being heard.
16. A BROAD PRINCIPLE: Since the principles described in this Code are general in nature, the Code does not cover every
situation that may arise. Common sense and good judgement rooted in spiritual values shown by Avatar Meher Baba should be
exercised by the Trustees.
17. SIGNED DECLARATION BY TRUSTEES: An annual signed declaration by each Trustee is to be made to the Board reconfirming
compliance with the Code of Ethics.
18. VERSION OF THE CODE: The Code of Ethics is an evolving document and can be amended by the Board by two-thirds special