A young sadhu advises Ramjoo never to leave Baba, saying “You have taken your position on a river bank that is yet to overflow … stick to it under any circumstances … one can never know when the river is going to have a flood,”
folios #2v331-2v335, 2-4 July, 1927.

Along with a group of mandali Baba visited an elderly Hindu woman named Nanibai in Ahmednagar and dined on dishes prepared by her. He then visited an “old and devoted” Brahmin family where the party was served refreshments. He went on to Chintamanrao’s and Laxmanrao’s houses, partaking of refreshments in both places. Stopping finally at Kaka Shahane’s house, Baba returned to Meherabad at 3 PM.

Baba asked Dhakay to return to Ahmednagar on the empty bus but he preferred to ride his bicycle. Accordingly when heavy rain fell around 4 PM he got a “fine shower bath” and learned “it pays to listen to Shri even in minor matters.”

In the evening Mr. Borkar and his Anath Ashram boys along with a Brahmin family who came for darshan accompanied Baba to the Ashram and stayed there with him for an hour.

In the morning Aga Baidool “unexpectedly” arrived with 14 boys from Persia looking very odd in their Persian clothes. Two were Muslims and the remainder Zoroastrians. They carried “surprisingly” little luggage and although they appeared healthy it was clear that they had suffered a difficult journey. Baba immediately embraced them all. They were served breakfast and taken to the Ashram.

An application was received from a Bohri Muslim merchant in Bombay for a boy from that community. Attached was a letter praising the Meher Ashram curriculum for spiritual training. The Ashram rapidly becoming “a really cosmopolitan affair,” Baba brought up the issue of constructing permanent buildings on Meherabad Hill for both the Ashram and the Hazrat Babajan High School.

In the evening the Persian boys watched a cricket match for the first time.

In the morning Kaikhasroo Masa and Soona Masi departed for Bombay by train.

For the first time a member of the local Moghul community brought some boys for admission to the Ashram.

The evening discussion dealt with sports; at issue was the building of a tennis court. It was decided to make a “nice” cricket field on the Hill and offer it to outside teams for “big matches on suitable occasions.”

About the future Baba conveyed: “I shall have to remain six months on water … When I do so, know that I will speak …. I am going to lock myself up but all the arrangements about the Ashram etc must be ready before I do so ….. There will be a spiritual outburst here …. many sages already know about it …”

An attractive young sadhu from the darbar of Dhooniwallababa at Sai Khed arrived and greeted Baba with “great devotion and feelings.” Having taken darshan of Babajan and Narayan Maharaj, he was on his way to Upasni Maharaj at Sakori. Baba gave him photos and lockets and ordered a meal for him, which he nibbled absentmindedly while gazing at the photos. He said Dhooniwallababa sent him to see “Rivers that had become one with the Sea.” Having received no list of names, he was guided intuitively.

When the sadhu left for Sakori, Baba sent Ramjoo to the station to purchase a ticket and get him settled in the train. The sadhu spoke lovingly about Baba and advised Ramjoo never to leave him, saying “….. you have taken your position on a river bank that is yet to overflow … stick to it under any circumstances … one can never know when the river is going to have a flood.”

He became silent and calm resting his head against the window frame for a few seconds and then smiled and beamed as he told Ramjoo that he had just “felt a message being flashed from Meherabad to Sakori” about his imminent arrival. Later when Baba was told about this event, he conveyed that the sadhu was “‘in the spiritual line'” and “did and could ‘see’ something about the unseen.”

Part 162: The Combined Diary

Combined Diary Home