“To see or come in contact of a real Wali or Maha-yogi is very beneficial. Walis are the pets of God and at times the impossible is made possible by God through their blessings,”
folios #2v323-2v327, 18-25 June, 1927.

Baba took a “Holiday” with Dr. Ghani, Ramjoo and some other mandali by playing Ping-Pong and other games inside the water tank building on the Hill from 11 AM until 8 PM. “Special” meals were sent up to them. During the day Baba introduced a plan to convert the building to a school rather than construct an additional permanent structure. Dr. Ghani was assigned to investigate necessary alterations.

Baba hinted that in the future America would take part in a terrible war that would “eclipse the last great war in all its horrors and devastation.” At that time he would “manifest Himself as the Avatar.”

During supper Dr. Ghani remarked, “If we could get food like this always I would like to stay with Baba.” Immediately Baba offered to serve him such food regularly if he would stay. At first Dr. Ghani tried to “squeeze out of the contract” but after discussion he agreed to stay for 15 days each month.

The following day Baba and many of the mandali returned to the tank building for games, treats and hard labor. Along with two hired men with heavy crow bars they struggled to open a doorway into the eastern chamber of the tank. By the end of the day they managed to remove two stones from the rugged masonry.

For the third day Baba and the available mandali again returned to the tank building and worked to enlarge the opening. Some visitors were also asked to lend a hand. They made an opening of suitable size to fix a door frame.

On the fourth day Baba visited the tank building in the morning and afternoon to supervise the work. A similar entrance into the western chamber was completed.

The Gujarati Third Standard was established in the school to accommodate two new Parsi boys. The evening discussion dealt with objections by Persian authorities to allowing fourteen boys detained at Bandar Bushire to continue on their way to India to join the Ashram.

Coconut fiber matting was spread on the newly-prepared cricket pitch, school was closed and the boys and teachers were invited to watch the match played there in the afternoon. In the evening Baba and the mandali attended a tea party at Dhakay’s house in Ahmednagar in honor of his recent marriage. On the way back to Meherabad the car got a flat and while Adi went to repair it Baba walked to Kaka Shahane’s house and sat waiting on a pile of metal near the gate.

Later that night Baba talked about siddhis. He conveyed that the yogi’s powers were like “children’s toys” compared with those of the Perfect Master. Referring to the yogi who recently visited Ahmednagar, Baba gestured, “What harm is there if people go and pay him — the yogi — their respects. Never hesitate in approaching a saint. Try to see as many saints and spiritually advanced persons as you can and as often as you can. Respect them, salute them. This will bring you nothing but good. But think twice before following them or their instructions. Keep aloof of their words and orders. To see or come in contact of a real Wali or Maha-yogi is very beneficial. Walis are the pets of God and at times the impossible is made possible by God through their blessings….”

Among the usual Thursday visitors was an odd looking Parsi gentleman who expressed himself in an “extremely funny” way. He talked about spiritual advancement saying he was a locomotive fireman who had renounced the world. On the subject of renunciation Baba silently told him it meant the difficult task of “giving up Maya” and sent the man to visit Upasni Maharaj, Narayan Maharaj, Babajan and Dhuniwala Baba. He was given permission to return to Meherabad if he could not settle down anywhere else.

Baba and some mandali dined at Chintamanrao’s house in Ahmednagar and took tea afterwards at Kaka Shahane’s place. In the evening Baba and some mandali attended the local mandir by invitation of devotees in order to witness the Saptah ceremony and arti.

Although Baba looked tired and worn out from his duties he played a lively cricket game in the evening bringing home 52 runs and he topped the evening off with a few games of checkers.

Dhakay and Chanji were “severely taken to task” for small errors in the performance of their duties. Baba admonished them to avoid carefully even the slightest indifference or irregularity in their work.

Among many visitors was Dr. Marathe from Satara. The old Parsi gentleman named Nusserwanji who became abusive after Baba’s blessings [Combined Diary, Parts 157, 158] looked nearly normal today and wanted to visit his brother and sister. Baba allowed him to go with strict instructions and promises to live peacefully at home.

Part 160: The Combined Diary

Combined Diary Home