The mandali notices a parallel with Baba in the way Ramkrishna used to ask for food “at odd hours of the day and night and particularly when there was no food ready and available,”
folios #2v221-2v225, April 14-15, 1927.

Despite persistent physical pain, Baba took his seat in the morning in the Dispensary and gave darshan and interviews to visitors and discussed ongoing preparations for the opening of the Ashram with various mandali members. Bhaoosaheb did not appear for his usual Thursday bhajan performance. At noon Baba retired to his zhopdi.

At 7 PM he emerged and sat on the veranda. The mandali gathered around him in silence. An hour later Kaka and his family unexpectedly arrived for darshan on their way to Kolahpur. Baba communicated concern for their safety while traveling after dark. Kaka replied that there was moonlight and since they were coming for darshan they felt no fear. Mrs. Shahne asked Baba if one of her family contrary to his earlier order could take tea in Kolahpur if pressured. Baba granted permission but later he told Kaka:

“It was a mistake to ask for changes in orders once given. An order once given was an order until withdrawn by Himself of His own accord, otherwise all should stick to it at any costs. His words must never be broken. If permission will be asked to do anything contrary to the standing order, He will never refuse, but the effect of the first word and order would be gone and the party concerned would necessarily suffer.”

The arti was recited at 8:30 and then for about an hour Chanji narrated a story after which all retired.

In the morning Baba sat for awhile at the school and then shifted to the Dispensary. Around noon he called a meeting of the mandali and asked one of them to open “Shri Ramkrishna Paramhamsa’s Life” at random and read a chapter. The text — “more than a mere coincidence” — described a “peculiar ‘Throat illness'” very similar to Baba’s. According to Ramkrishna’s wife, the illness was not his own but rather the result of allowing “physically diseased and morally debased persons” to fall on his feet. For that reason the “Masters” seldom took medicine and when taken it usually proved ineffective.

The name of Ramkrishna’s “medical attendant,” which began with the letter S, reminded the mandali of Dr. Sathe who treated Baba for his “Stiff neck.” At an unspecified time on this same day, Baba presented Dr. Sathe with a “pearl-pin, an electro-plated feeding cup and the promise of a son” in recognition of his medical attention to the mandali.

The mandali also noticed a parallel with Baba in the way Ramkrishna used to ask for food “at odd hours of the day and night and particularly when there was no food ready and available.”

At 4 PM Baba called a meeting and “severely criticized” the school authorities for “bad and loose management.” Chanji was asked to stop his writing and other activities and pay full attention to school duties. Dhakay’s response was interpreted by Baba as unwillingness to continue as Principal. Baba asked others to step forward to take the position; none came forward. Chanji explained that Dhakay did not mean to quit his post. Baba disappeared into his zhopdi for awhile and then called Chanji and Dhakay again to continue the discussion.

Under present conditions, Baba said, the school must either be closed or run without any connection to him. Discussion continued until “matters were settled up” and preparations could move ahead as planned. In addition Baba agreed to visit the Makan; after many days of absence he came in the late evening and “all the unpleasantness ended.”

Part 138: The Combined Diary

Combined Diary Home